Friday, January 26, 2007

Microsoft Action Pack questions answered

Last week I sent a list of questions to Microsoft about the action pack. Below are my questions.

* It looks like I will receive Vista Business, will I also receive Ultimate? or any of the other versions?

* Will I receive XP Pro? or any other older versions of Windows?

* Will I receive a full version of Vista and not just an upgrade? I need the full version.

* What is the difference between "Number of Licenses" and "Number of Client Licenses"?

And their response

We appreciate your interest in the Microsoft Action Pack Subscription. Currently, only the full version of Windows Vista Business Edition is provided in the action pack subscription.The Microsoft Action Pack Subscription software contents can be viewed at the following link:
https://partner.microsoft.com/global/program/managemembership/40013779

In addition to the software listed, you will also receive quarterly updates. Please note that the items marked with an asterisk are new. These products will be in the Quarterly Update kit.

The Microsoft Action Pack Subscription License allows the partner to utilize the software for internal business use, testing, demonstration, evaluation, and training. Subscribers will be issued product keys for offered products that use Windows Activation technology.

The software that is included in your Microsoft Action Pack Subscription does require product activation. The difference between Client Access Licenses is that these will allow you to access a server; while products with number of licenses will be for individual computers that do not access a server. Please use the production activation keys supplied on the CD sleeve or on the individual PID cards for the software that was included in the Welcome Kit. For additional information regarding the Microsoft Action Pack Subscription License Agreement, please visit:
https://partner.microsoft.com/US/program/managemembership/actionpack/mapslicensing

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can you confirm if that actually did happen with Microsoft? I received my action pack and it only included a Vista Business upgrade. According to Microsoft, in "some regions" they are only providing upgrades. This is so frustrating - and is forcing me to install XP first. I don't even know if this is possible, given that I'm running Vista on Parallels.

Michael
mschneider@fluidesign.com

Tone said...

Michael,
I received the upgrade, but was able to do a clean install by installing it twice. You can google on how to do this. I don't believe it is in any violation of the Microsoft agreement.