Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Linux Finally!

I have tried to install Linux twice in my life before now. The first attempt was with Slackware about 5 years ago - let's just say that didn't go so well. The second was about 4 months ago on a computer I was fixing for family - it was Ubuntu, and although it installed successfully I quickly gave up because I really wasn't looking to spend all the configuration time necessary for a Linux newbie.

A few days ago I decided to install Ubuntu on my current Desktop as a dual boot alongside Vista. My goal is to run everything (outside of my professional computer life as a .NET developer) from Linux. Although it hasn't been without it's bumps, it has gone relatively well. I have it up and running on dual screen monitors, listening to music, browsing the web, watching videos, etc. And it's sooooo much faster than Vista. I still have not committed to going fully to Linux as that will take much more work.

My favorite part of this project is that I am really having fun exploring this technology that is new to me. I have always known Microsoft OS's, from way back in the DOS days, and it's healthy to see other perspectives of how an OS can be run effectively. What has been challenging is the lack of idiot proofing Ubuntu provides. Windows has always excelled at this and tries to prevent you from irreversibly damaging your install (or at least gives you that impression). I reinstalled Ubuntu at least 3 times after hosing the video drivers - but then maybe that is just because I did not know how to unhose them, and it was much quicker to reinstall at that time.

Some Ubuntu tasks I have ahead of me include:
- install WINE so I can run certain windows apps (Quicken comes to mind first)
- setup Picasa for Linux
- research new package that allows read/write to NTFS

No comments: